Question:
did the 1968 Chrysler 300 come with a 383 or just a 440?
rufubared2
2006-03-23 20:48:23 UTC
did the 1968 Chrysler 300 come with a 383 or just a 440?
Five answers:
astro
2006-03-24 09:19:05 UTC
You have taxed my memory on this one but I say all 300's in 68 had 440's which may have been its only distinction.
?
2016-05-20 08:01:57 UTC
If you are restoring it, build the 383. You can put a stroker kit in it and get the cubes and horsepower, but still keep the original block in the car. You can get a decent after-market 4-bbl intake for the 383, or even a 6-pack. Just build it right and go thru the calculations before hand for the amount of gas you can shove down it. I rebuilt a 72 440 thats in my plymouth, as the original 383 wasnt around. Else, that is what would be in my car. If its a 440 its an RB. It might not be an HP block but I still have doubts on whether that really meant much, other than a stamp and different cam/pistons. Building either engine will cost you about the same, so, if you want to keep it original, go 383. If you want to build a monster go with the 440, just keep the 383 stuffed in the corner of your garage, in case you go to sell it later. Having the original engine available to go as an extra with the car is a good selling point.
zappyjan
2014-01-24 23:36:40 UTC
The 1968 Chrysler 300 came with three different motors that I know of. My dad owned one; it had a blue 383 which was actually a 400 cubic inch displacement motor. The red was a true hot short stroke 383. If the motor is blue it is not a true 383. MOPAR motors were color-coded red, white, and blue. The red was hot, the blue was not, and the white would pull a house off its foundation. The white motor I have only seen twice; one was in a late 50s Dodge truck and the other was in a Fury III. So all you need to do is open your hood and look at the color and see if it's stock for a general idea of what you have under the hood. And remember, all you MOPAR freaks, adjust the distributor to the very peak without a timing light to find your true MOPOWER!!!!
2006-03-23 21:22:48 UTC
the only one i could located was whith a 440 350cubic there was 16,953 2door hardtop and 4 door hardtop there was 15,507 ther was also 2,161 convertible made that all with 440 there was 3 speed auto and 4 speed manual in them .
KaptainSurf
2006-03-30 05:21:01 UTC
the brochure would tell ,my fathers 68 Imperial had a 440